American killed in Egyptian clashes as Muslim Brotherhood offices attacked

"Egypt suffered renewed outbreaks of violence on Friday as Muslim Brotherhood offices were attacked in at least four provinces, two days before the scheduled start of mass protests against the president and Brotherhood associate Mohamed Morsi. Two people were killed in Alexandria on Friday – one was an American bystander who was watching an attack on local Brotherhood offices – and 70 were injured. Clashes were reported in several other cities between Morsi's often secular-minded critics, who seek his immediate resignation, and his allies in the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups, who defend his democratic legitimacy." Continue reading

Continue ReadingAmerican killed in Egyptian clashes as Muslim Brotherhood offices attacked

Egypt’s army threatens to ‘intervene’ if unrest continues

"Egypt’s defence minister warned on Sunday that the army will intervene if violence breaks out in the country where opponents of President Mohamed Morsi are planning rallies against him this month. 'The armed forces have the obligation to intervene to stop Egypt from plunging into a dark tunnel of conflict and infighting,' Abdel Fattah al-Sisi warned on the eve of the first anniversary of Morsi’s election as opposition leaders clamoured for his resignation. Morsi’s opponents, who accuse him of hijacking the 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak’s regime, plan a rally on June 30 to mark the day Morsi was sworn in as Egypt’s first civilian and Islamist president." Continue reading

Continue ReadingEgypt’s army threatens to ‘intervene’ if unrest continues

US Marines Put On Alert To Move Into Egypt Amid Violent Protests

"Amid anti-government demonstrations planned for this weekend, roughly 200 combat-capable U.S. Marines in southern Europe have been put on an alert status should they need to protect the U.S. Embassy or American citizens in Egypt, CNN is reporting. The Marines were told to be ready to deploy within an hour, and would be flown in via MV-22 Osprey, the Marine Corps’ rapid deployment aircraft. A state department spokesman told CNN that the move is precautionary, and that the U.S. fully expects the Egyptian security forces to be able to protect the American diplomatic facilities." Continue reading

Continue ReadingUS Marines Put On Alert To Move Into Egypt Amid Violent Protests

Official figures reveal Ireland is back in a recession

"Ireland’s bailed-out economy slumped back into recession in the second half of last year, and continued to shrink in the first quarter of 2013, official figures showed on Thursday. GDP tumbled 1.0 percent in the third quarter of 2012 and by 0.2 percent in the fourth quarter, meeting the definition of a recession, according to revised data from the Central Statistics Office (CSO), which added that the economy shrank 0.6 percent in the first quarter of this year." Continue reading

Continue ReadingOfficial figures reveal Ireland is back in a recession

Tempers fray in France as drastic cuts loom

"President Francois Hollande has already angered much of his own Socialist base with plans to cut spending next year in absolute terms for the first time since 1958, but this may be just start of the battle. The Cour des Comptes said France is not even 'halfway' through its fiscal squeeze. The warnings came as a blizzard of grim news dashed hopes for a rapid recovery from two years of slump. A recent study by Pew Foundation said French support for the European Project has crashed from 60pc to 40pc over the past year. Just 22pc now think EU economic integration is positive." Continue reading

Continue ReadingTempers fray in France as drastic cuts loom

Nestlé unveils European youth jobs scheme

"Swiss-based Nestlé, the world’s biggest food company, has announced a plan to help at least 20,000 young people find work in Europe over the next three years. The company said on Thursday its initiative would offer employment and create 'thousands of apprentice positions and traineeships by 2016' for job seekers under the age of 30. Nestlé said it will also encourage its European suppliers to offer positions to young people. Nestlé said it was continuing to expand in Europe despite challenging economic conditions. It highlighted its biggest-ever investment in Germany last month, a 220 million-euro Nescafé Dolce Gusto factory in Schwerin." Continue reading

Continue ReadingNestlé unveils European youth jobs scheme

More than half of Americans disapprove of Obamacare

"A majority of Americans say Obamacare will make things worse for their families and the nation overall, a poll released on Thursday found, highlighting the challenges his administration still faces in winning over the public. Overall, the survey of nearly 2,050 adults showed 52 percent disapprove of the 2010 law aimed at expanding access to health insurance for millions of people, according to Gallup. Another 44 percent said they back the changes. Among those polled, 42 percent said it would make their family’s healthcare situation worse while 33 percent said it would have little impact. Just 22 percent said they thought it would help, the poll showed." Continue reading

Continue ReadingMore than half of Americans disapprove of Obamacare

Jordanians ‘suspicious’ about U.S. troop movements

"Jordanians are suspicious about US weapons and troops being deployed to the kingdom, even if Washington seeks to help its ally protect itself from a possible spillover of Syrian violence, experts say. The United States has kept F-16 warplanes and Patriot missiles in the country since a joint military exercise ended on June 20. A US defence official said Washington has expanded its military presence in the country to 1,000 troops. MP Khalil Atiyeh says lawmakers reject the presence of foreign forces. 'As deputies representing Jordanian people, we do not accept US or any other foreign troops in Jordan. Jordanians do not think there are threats from Syria.'" Continue reading

Continue ReadingJordanians ‘suspicious’ about U.S. troop movements

Marine’s 11-year war crimes conviction overturned

"Sergeant Lawrence Hutchins, 29, was jailed six years ago after a court martial found him guilty of orchestrating the murder of a 52-year-old Iraqi man in the town of Hamdania. Hutchins was convicted of leading an eight-strong squad which kidnapped the father of 11 from his home in a night-time raid, frogmarched him to a ditch and shot him. The group then placed an AK-47 and a shovel beside the dead man’s corpse to make it look as if he had been shot while planting a roadside bomb. Lawyers for Hutchins argued investigators had erred when the Marine was held in solitary confinement without access to a lawyer for seven days." Continue reading

Continue ReadingMarine’s 11-year war crimes conviction overturned